Many businesses around the world are using VPN to connect their office servers from other locations such as home etc. Virtual Private Nework uses PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol to allow Windows and Mac users to connect to the PowerElf servers from the other locations.
PPPT provides a secure 128bit encrypted connection from the local computer to the VPN server. In VPN, not only the data is encrypted but the source and destination network address is also encrypted.
VPN uses internet as a medium to connect to the remote networks and sites and allows virtual connections.
Virtual Private Nework is an alternative method to connecting the office network or a LAN. Internet is a public domain and anyone with a computer, a phone line, modem and internet service can access it.
VPN uses a set of the security methods, such as encryption, passwords, firewalls and other security procedures. VPN may be composed of a number of servers and sites.
The most common Virtual Private Nework is a remote-access VPN, which creates a secure tunnel from your computer and your company’s server.
In some cases you don’t even need to have internet access but you only need a computer, telephone line, modem and software, which network administrator might have installed on your computer or you will be provided with the instructions that how to configure PPTP.
After successfully configuring the PPTP, you will be able to dial the company’s server and access it by creating a VPN. In Virtual Private Nework, remote computers act as they are in the same and secure local network.
There are a number of advantages and disadvantages of the VPN connections.
• It allows and makes you able to connect and access your company’s computer, while you are at your home or other remote location. This is the same way as you access your company’s computers in your office.
• It is almost impossible for someone to interfere or intrude in your VPN network tunnel
• You can even connect to your company’s network from all over the world if you have installed and configured VPN client software on your laptop.
• The setup of the Virtual Private Nework connections is comparatively more complicated than the normal network connections. VPN can work around the network products of different companies but connecting to a non-NETGEAR product will add some difficulty.
You will have to follow the company’s own policies and procedures while connecting to its network through VPN. VPN goes between a computer and network or a local LAN and a remote network using routers. Each end of the connection is an VPN endpoint. The connection between the two VPN networks is called VPN tunnel.
All NETGEAR router supports VPN pass through. Pass through means that a router does not stop VPN traffic. The purpose of VPN is to prevent the data between two computers or networks being altered.
The whole purpose of VPN is to prevent data being altered, so, for example, a pass through router that is also running NAT will break the VPN connection.
For setting up the Virtual Private Nework connection you need the basic equipment and the VPN account from your Internet Service Provider. The latest operating systems like Windows 2000, Windows 2003 server or professional does not require the separate VPN client software. But if you have old operating systems like Windows 95/98, you will require additional software for VPN.
• PC with the processor speed of more than 300 MHZ.
• RAM: 128MB although 64 MB is the minimum support but it may limits many features and of VPN.
• 1.5 GB available disk space.
• A dial up, cable modem, ISDN or any type of modem is required. The modems with more speed and good for faster transfer of data.
Any Virtual Private Nework client software.
You will require a VPN account with your ISP with a password and dedicated IP address for the security connection and encryption purposes.
Virtual Private Nework Accessories
An increasing number of businesses are opting for the VPN solutions. Different vendors are adding the different functionalities in the hardware and software such as encryptors in the hardware. Some are adding security and firewall related capabilities both in software and hardware.
Virtual Private Nework Working
There are many aspects of the working of the VPN and it depends on the software, hardware and the architecture of the VPN connection. Each VPN connection type has it own features with respect to security, scalability and quality of service. There are 2 main types of the VPN connections such as individual computer to LAN and LAN to LAN connections.
The purposes of the protocol involves in VPN are as follows. • The encryption of data at the sending end.
• Creation of a tunnel where data in the form of packets is encapsulated in the form of TCP/IPnetwork.
• The decryption of the data at the receiving end.
• Other security measures included password security, firewall and the encryption of the host and remote computers or networks IP address.