Some of the notorious spyware software program monitors the online file sharing activities, chat sessions, scan files on the hard drives, snoop other applications, records key strokes, change the basic settings of a firewall program, redirect your web searches and log the contents of the emails.
Their working is often associated with Adware and Trojan horses and they attack themselves to the operating systems.
Most of the spyware targets the Windows based operating system such as Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows 2003 Server and Windows Vista. According to a recent research two third of all the internet connected computers are infected with some kind of spyware.
The other types of the notorious spying programs are Adware, Stealware, dialers, spasm, cookies, virues, Trojan horses, browser hijackers and key loggers etc. It is important to remove them from your system otherwise your privacy and security can be compromised.
How to Remove Spyware in Windows
If you think that your system is infected you can download any of the free anti spyware programs such as hijack this, spyware terminator, spybot, search and destroy, spyware blaster and perform a full scan on your system. The best anti spyware programs remove the traces from your system. The other spyware removal tips are 1. Perform a full system scan, 2. Uninstall unfamiliar applications 3. Run your anti spyware application in the safe mode. They can steal your passwords, corrupt your files, hijack your settings and they can trigger a larger number of annoying ads.
- Adjust your system’s security settings.
- Adjust browser’s settings.
- Use Internet filters and Pop up filters programs.
- Uninstall any unfamiliar program
- Regularly scan your system with a good antivirus and anti spyware program.
- Beware of the file sharing programs on the internet like Kazaa and Limewire etc.
- Keep your system up-to-date with the Service packs and latest security patches etc.
- Visit only trusted websites.
- Use an email protection tool.
- Keep an eye on the speed of your computer and the speed of the internet connection that you are using. If you note a noticeable decline in speed and system’s performance then scan your PC.
- Install Pop up blockers
- Prevent unwanted system installations.
- Delete ActivX, temporary files, cookies, web browse cache, web browser history and empty the recycle bin.
- Get a firewall program up and running.
- Windows Defender
- Hijack This
- Spyware Blaster
- Spyware Terminator
- Ad-Aware From Lavasoft