System Administration Tips
Here you will learn some basic network administration tips, how to secure your computer network, basic troubleshooting guide, it management tools, security measures and basic network troubleshooting tips. The administration of a computer network is a very responsible task of the network administrators. There are certain administration tips if followed, the management becomes easy. Being a network administration you should know the basic network technologies such as TCP/IP, Ethernet, cabling system, basic network hardware, software, directory services and some basic network troubleshooting techniques.
Always document your network resources and configurations such as network hardware and software inventory, computers, basic network configurations, logon scripts. Also take a complete backup of your server’s data and manage the resources of network server in such as way that simultaneous access to the server does not affect the performance of the server.
Keep your network software inventory up to date and assure that you have these utilities such as data recovery tools, backup utilities, troubleshooting tools, TCP/IP ports and performance monitoring tools and up-to-date antivirus software
Make your network administrator’s password complex and also train an assistant network administrator. Keep an up-to-dated network security tool such as GFI LanGuard, which can prevent your network from any kind of internet or external security attack. Put a strict restriction in the server room and only authorized persons should be allowed to enter in the server room. Regularly take back of your critical data on other hard disks and write backup data on the CDs. After installing and configuring your server, take an image of your whole hard disk, with a good utility such as Norton Ghost. Always get ready an updated disaster recovery and fault tolerance plans. Do not leave the serve room unattended there must be someone responsible person present every time in the server room. Besides these general tips I have also provided list of the information tips
Following are the basic tips for administering a computer network.
1. If you are preparing a new system, make sure that you are using the best installation source such as an installation CD. After installing the operating system, also install up-to-date antivirus program such as Norton antivirus, Trend Micro, McAfee, Panda Antivirus or any other antivirus program of your choice.
2. After completing the installation process of all the networking computers, test your network for the performance, speed and security.
3. Keep your network design simple and segment your network in different sections so that it would be easy to isolate a faulty component of the network.
4. Regularly upgrade your network computers with the latest antivirus definitions, software patches and other security measures.
5. Purchase a planned hardware for your network and make a documentation of your hardware and software inventory.
6. Only install the required software applications on your server and networking computers. Any kind of unauthorized software or web based application can become source of viruses and other malicious codes from the internet.
7. Define network IP address, crate user accounts, create user material and keep the resources closer to the user.
8. Train your IT staff as well as all the users and warn them about any unauthorized activities.
9. Administer the access to the internet and put a tight security restriction on the unauthorized internet usage and block all the unwanted ports and web based application access.
10. Secure your gateway computer or proxy server as much as possible because gateway is directly exposed to the internet.
11. Mirror your hard disk.
12. Structure your network.
13. Being a network administrator, always research and test new network technologies and trends.
Also you must know the basic network technologies and troubleshooting tips. Do research and make a plan before setting up a network for your organization or clients. Always fill your resource kit with the data recovery software, backup utilities, up-to-dated antivirus programs, cable testers, cable cutter, cable connectors and other network security and troubleshooting tools. Also, keep yourself upgraded with the latest networking knowledge networking certifications such as MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, Network+, and Server+. Share your knowledge with your colleagues, IT managers and also reply the various networking troubleshooting and management related questions in the different forums on the internet. Hopefully this tutorial will provide you the basic understanding and insight of how to administer a computer network.
Home About us Contact